“It would be impossible to put out a comprehensive issue on Southern music, so that is not what we have tried to do here… The hope is that we have succeeded in reminding you that there is much to the subject; much to consider; much to return to; much to learn.” — Editor’s Box
Feature on the King of Bluegrass by Tom Piazza. Essays by Rosanne Cash, Steve Yarbrough, Robert Palmer, Corey Harris, and Steve Harvey.
Soundbites by Rick Clark, Jimbo Mathus, Robert Gordon, and others. Also includes work by Nick Tosches, Robert Gordon, Frye Gaillard, JoBeth Britton, Peter Guralnick, John Morthland, Cynthia Shearer, and more.
1. It Sure Was Better Back Then / Steve Forbert
2. Pineola / Lucinda Williams
3. Got It Made in the Shade / Jimmy Martin
4. Nobody’s Fault But Mine / Sister Rosetta Tharpe
5. The Good and The Bad / Ted Hawkins
6. Give Me Back My Job / Carl Perkins
7. I’m So Glad / Skip James
8. Down in Mississippi / Jim Dickinson
9. When Panthers Roamed in Arkansas / Kate Campbell
10. I Take it on Home / Charlie Rich
11. St. Louis Cemetery Blues / Squirrel Nut Zippers
12. Fish Ain’t Bitin’ / Corey Harris
13. Pungee / The Meters
14. Sho’ Do / Ollie Nightingale & the Hodges Brothers
15. Good Times / Ardoin, Chris & Double Clutchin’
16. St. Louis Blues / Emmett Miller
17. Abbers Song / Phineas Newborn, Jr.
18. Price of Temptation / Rosanne Cash
19. Bloody 98 / Blue Mountain
20. Keep It Clean / Charley Jordan
21. Matthew 7:7 / Graceland McCollough Tigers